Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her Ass Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer by Jen Lancaster





Overview

A NOTE FROM JEN LANCASTER:
"To whom the fat rolls…I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It’s a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

My thoughts:
I am reading my shelf this summer.  There are so many books that I have picked up and ordered and then simply not gotten around to reading in my house.  Sometimes I think I am in need of serious book intervention, but I am always distracted by another book so the issue remains.

I took this one along on a recent trip to the beach and I found myself laughing out loud like a crazy person at times.  I was self conscious at first and then I decided that I really didn't care.  I was enjoying the book and I didn't know anyone around me.  If I had I would have shared all the funny little tidbits of the book.  Weight struggles are familiar to many of us and seeing how Lancaster deals with it in a humorous way while coming to accept herself was enjoyable and real.  Being called a "fat bitch" on the bus or at the pool, finding out that she weighs fifty pounds more than she thought and deciding that she is ready to focus on her health are all along the ride of personal growth that she manages to make funny.  Searching for the outfit and undergarments to make her feel confident on a book promotion segment on TV and also finding out that she has become fit enough to work out hard, run and swim make her real.

I loved how she shows that she is happy with herself even if she hasn't met her goal weight, she found the strength to commit to getting healthy for herself which is the most important reason to make these changes.




No comments:

Post a Comment