Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday Snapshot- Legos

 There is a new place in our area to have birthday parties and play.  I am sure it has been around in other areas for a while, but area got one this summer.  It is at a mall we don't go to that often so I don't think I noticed it until fall.

 It is called, you guessed it, Bricks For Kids.  They run mommy and me program, after school programs, open play sessions and birthday parties.  Last month I saw a friend's post about her son's birthday party and it gave me the new idea I was looking for for my oldest's ninth birthday.
 The children had some free time to play, some model building time, a chance to use a Lego zip line and then had snacks and opened gifts.  They were busy the whole time, which is great as there were only two girls there, my daughter and our neighbor.  Large groups of 8 and 9 year-olds need something to keep them busy.
 They had challenges like building the highest tower in a minute and building a tower with a repeating pattern and building with their eyes shut.
 Everyone seemed to have fun.  I do have to say the model builds were harder than I thought they would be, with a number of the children struggling a bit with getting all the pieces lines up so that the battery pack made it actually move, but they really worked together to follow the directions to make them.
I think they enjoyed the unstructured chance to build from the big table and out their creations down the car ramp the most.  All in all it was a fun party that they all seemed to enjoy!

This is hosted by Alyce at At Home With Books.

17 comments:

  1. Ha! Who doesn't love legos? I'd go there for anytime. Great shots of happy faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend a birthday party. Legos are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea for a 'kid keeper spot'! Legos are such fun for all concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does look like a fabulous place for kids' parties. Thanks for sharing the fun with us.

    Here's MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea for a party! Legos are the one toy I've hung onto, long past leaving the target age groups. I don't often get them down from my top closet shelf, but they're there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son i s 26 and I'm sure he would have loved this too. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like an enjoyable party... and challenging too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love photos of smiling faces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great setting for a birthday part.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! As far as I know, there isn't a place like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh when my son was young he had such fun with Legos! Have you been to Legoland in Southern California? IT'S AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure my kids would love something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pics are so cute, but they also bring back painful memories for me of my own childhood, and how LEGO was my first inkling at how non-technically inclined I am. I was labelled as Architecturally Challenged.
    The only thing I could ever build was just...... a bigger chunk of LEGO.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where were places like this when I was planning kid's birthday parties? Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha! Hadn't noticed that I clicked on a old link and commented again!

    ReplyDelete