Monday, November 7, 2011

Clementine (Clementine Series #1) by Sara Pennypacker , Marla Frazee (Illustrator) .

Overview
Clementine is having not so good of a week.

•On Monday she’s sent to the principal’s office for cutting off Margaret’s hair.
•Tuesday, Margaret’s mother is mad at her.
•Wednesday, she’s sent to the principal…again.
•Thursday, Margaret stops speaking to her.
•Friday starts with yucky eggs and gets worse.
•And by Saturday, even her mother is mad at her.
Okay, fine. Clementine is having a DISASTROUS week.

My thoughts:
I was looking for an audio book at the library and the children's librarian recommended this one.  My children really enjoyed it.  It really reminded me of Junie B. Jones, so if you have a fan of her they will probably love Clementine as well.  I thought that would be the first character my children would be reminded of, but my daughter thought of Ramona first.  Then I turned the case over and Booklist compared Clementine to both Junie B. and Ramona!

Things just keep going wrong for Clementine, but part of it felt forced to me.  Like a third grader would really think things were going to be okay when she was drawing with permanent marker on her friend and her hair?  I hope my children have more sense than that, but they did enjoy listening to her antics and how things just kept getting worse and worse.  I do have to say her circular logic reminded me of my children at times though. 

This is the first book in the series and it looks like there are four or five more.


Details
•Pub. Date: February 2008
•Publisher: Hyperion Books for Children
•Format: Paperback , 160pp
•Age Range: 7 to 10
•Series: Clementine Series #1
•ISBN-13: 9780786838837
•ISBN: 0786838833

No comments:

Post a Comment