Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gnomeo and Juliet, The Movie



A couple weeks ago I took my two older children to see Gnomeo and Juliet in 3D.  Our local AMC theater offers reduced rates on weekend mornings for shows before 12pm.  Because they only have eight screens our choices for kid friendly movies that day were either Gnomeo and Juliet or the Justin Bieber Never Say Never Movie.  My children don't seem to have much interest in Bieber, they know he sings but haven't expressed any interest in him, so we went with the first option.  I am not sold on the whole idea of 3D everything.  It wasn't a bad thing for this movie, but not a whole lot actually popped out at you.  This is the third thing we've seen in 3D, the first two were Tangled and Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  The 3D seemed more impressive in those two than in this one.

3D image aside, I enjoyed the movie and the retelling of Romeo and Juliet with garden gnomes.  There were some jokes that went over my children's heads.  At one point Gnomeo is talking to a statue of William Shakespeare in a park and my children didn't really understand who Shakespeare was.  The only thing I found to be slightly questionable about  the movie was the one male gnome who was wearing a bathing suit like the one used in Borat.  My son came home and told my husband that the gnome was "wearing a bathing suit you could see his butt in".  Other than that (and that gnome did have quite a few funny scenes and lines) it was family friendly and appropriate.  All three of us enjoyed watching it and had a good time being a part of the audience.

1 comment:

  1. I loved watching this flick...even though I am not a kid,I think it is highly enjoyable movie. Thanks for the review.

    Komz
    http://komzreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete