Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wonder Girl #1 Written by JT KRUL; Art by ADRIANA MELO & MARIAH BENES; Cover by NICOLA SCOTT & DOUG HAZLEWOOD

Written by JT KRUL; Art by ADRIANA MELO & MARIAH BENES; Cover by NICOLA SCOTT & DOUG HAZLEWOOD


Spinning out of the pages of TEEN TITANS comes this spotlight on Cassie Sandsmark, the wonderful Wonder Girl! Even though not every moment of Wonder Girl's life is spent being a Titan, strange adventures still follow her everywhere. In this issue, she'll cross paths with the odd new hero known as Solstice!

DC Comics 32pg.Color $2.99 US

On Sale January 12, 2011

My thoughts:

Last weekend we went to a comic book store and my daughter saw this comic sitting next to Wonder Woman. I have to admit I had never heard of Wonder Girl before but told her we could buy it and read it together at home. My thought was that if she liked the series we would be in luck since this was issue number one. I'm not sure if it is a totally new title or a new version of an older character. But we enjoyed reading it together.

Wonder Girl is a young adult and I think that may make her more relatable to younger readers. In this issue Cassie Sandsmark goes to London to visit her mother at an archeological conference. Her mother is a mortal and her father is the god Zeus. While in the museum a villain comes to steal back an artifact and Cassie changes into Wonder Girl to stop her. She meets another teenager/young adult who is also a superhero named Solstice and they fight together.

I still think it is funny how for superheroes somehow changing clothes is a disguise, even though Cassie looks the same as Wonder Girl and as herself and the same with Solstice. I never understood how Superman could put on glasses and no one would recognize him, but I guess that is part of the element of suspending disbelief. Having Cassie be a half-blood reminded me of the Percy Jackson series. It will be interesting to see where the character goes from here and I thought the author did a good job telling a story with action while also introducing a character to readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment