Monday, January 31, 2011

Going the Distance- Review


Synopsis from Barnes and Noble:
Drew Barrymore and Justin Long star in this romantic comedy about a long-distance romance that may be worth fighting for. Garrett (Long) is still nursing the wounds from a recent breakup when he meets Erin (Barrymore), an unflinchingly honest girl with a big talent for bar trivia. Hitting it off immediately, the pair spend a romantic summer together in New York City. It was supposed to be a summer fling, but as fall approaches and Erin returns to San Francisco, the spark is still there. Subsequently dividing his days between working and hitting the bars with best friends Box (Jason Sudeikis) and Dan (Charlie Day), Garrett drops everything whenever Erin calls. The more Garrett's phone rings, the more his pals begin to suspect that their drinking buddy is taking the relationship a little too seriously. And they're not the only ones; Erin's sister, Corrine (Christina Applegate), is keen to ensure that her smitten sibling doesn't repeat the mistakes of her past, and she makes no attempts to sugarcoat the fact that she disapproves of the coast-to-coast romance. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and as the texting becomes more intense, both Garrett and Erin start to suspect that their summer fling may just be the real thing.

My thoughts:
I think this is my current favorite movie. The first time I watched it was on a night my husband had to work so I watched it alone. After returning it to the store I couldn't stop telling people that I had enjoyed it so much that I rented it again to watch with my husband. I was really worried that he wouldn't like it and would wonder why I had talked about it so much, but I was relieved when he enjoyed it too. Not that it is necessarily his current favorite movie, but he laughed as much as I did.

I love Drew Barrymore and the way she portrayed this character had such vulnerability and openness really brought Erin to life. There were a lot of lines that make me laugh when we repeat them. Plus the music was fun (see below for more on the music)!



I have a thing about soundtracks. I love them! It is the mix of different bands and songs on the same CD. And yes, I still buy and listen to Cd's. The first time I listened to it I felt a little let down, but then after we watched the movie the second time and I could place the songs in the movie that made them more meaningful. I tend to listen to Cd's in the car and I have now caught my kids humming and singing some of the songs to themselves. I actually bought a CD from Boxer Rebellion, one of the bands in the movie and on the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment