Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Movie Review

One of our local movie theaters does a free movie program for kids in the summer.  For eight weeks on Tuesdays and Wednesdays they show an older kids movie.  Each summer we go to at least one, sometimes more depending on what our schedules are like.  This week the movie was The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  I saw this movie when it came out last year with my two older children.  It was the first 3D movie I paid to see with them, we saw Tangled with free passes prior to that.

Last year in the spring I listened to all seven of the Narnia books on audio with my children.  They were really excited to see the movie then since we had read the book.  It was fun to see it on the big screen again.  My biggest complaint about the movie is that Prince Caspian, now King Caspian, is still young and goes on the voyage with Lucy, Edmond and Eustice.  In the book Caspian is an old man.  My complaint is the break with the story not the actor, I enjoyed having Ben Barnes in the movie.

I think that the movie did a good job with the special effects and the characters.  Now that so much time has passed since I read the book any discrepancies have faded from my memory.  That actually allowed me to enjoy the story more.  It wasn't quite right for my younger two kids, but for elementary age children I think it is fine.  The voyage is done well as is the growth and change the characters undergo during the course of the movie.

I wonder if they plan on making any of the other books into movies.  It seemed like the end of this one was setting it up for the possibility as Eustice's mother calls upstairs that Jill Pole is there to visit since they are the two that go together on the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment