Monday, July 4, 2011

Afternoon on the Amazon by Mary Pope Osborne (Magic Tree House Book #6)

Overview from Barnes and Noble:
Jack and Annie travel back in time to a South American rain forest in search of the elusive magician Morgan le Fay. Will they find a new clue to her whereabouts before they are trampled by stampeding killer ants?


Eight-year-old Jack, his seven-year-old sister, Annie, and Peanut the mouse ride in a tree house to the Amazon rain forests, where they encounter giant ants, flesh-eating piranhas, hungry crocodiles, and wild jaguars.

My thoughts:
For some reason this one has never been one of my favorites in the series. It has never really grabbed me.  I've read it multiple times and it fades from my memory so fast.  We listened to it a couple weeks ago in the car and looking back I can't recall very much from it.

There were a few things that stood out on reflection.   I like the way the layers in the rainforest are described and made real to the reader.  It was also the book where we remembered that each of the magic items the children need to find to release Morgan from her spell all start with the letter "M".

These stories are different to me this time around because my children are the ages of Jack and Annie so when they go on adventures I try to picture my children being able to do the tasks or make the leaps in reasoning, sometimes I can see them doing it and other times I can't.  Maybe it is because we have yet to have a summer day free from the two of them fighting over or about something.  Would siblings stop disagreeing long enough to be successful in these situations, or would my kids just sit there and fight all day.  I know it is fiction but this is what is going on for me as we listen and read, could seven and eight years olds really do this if they had too.

Details:
•Pub. Date: August 1995

•Publisher: Turtleback Books: A Division of Sanval
•Format: Library Binding , 67pp
•Age Range: 6 to 9
Series: Magic Tree House Series #6
•ISBN-13: 9780785799924
•ISBN: 0785799923

No comments:

Post a Comment