Thursday, July 28, 2011

Troublemaker Part 1 by Janet Evanovich and Alex Evanovich Art by Joelle Jones

Overview
Janet Evanovich, the New York Times #1 best-selling author of Finger Lickin' Fifteen, brings Alexandra Barnaby and Sam Hooker, from the hit Barnaby novels Metro Girl and Motor Mouth, to Dark Horse Comics with her debut graphic novel - Troublemaker!

Alex Barnaby and Sam Hooker are back together and fighting crime the only way they know how - by leaving a trail of chaos, panic, and disorder. Alex, an auto mechanic and spotter for racecar driver Sam Hooker, is drawn to trouble like a giant palmetto bug to a day-old taco. Unfortunately, she's also drawn to Hooker in the same fashion. There's no steering clear of trouble or Hooker when friends Rosa and Felicia call for help. A man has gone missing, and in order to find him Barnaby and Hooker will have to go deep into the underbelly of Miami and south Florida, surviving Petro Voodoo, explosions, gift- wrapped body parts, a deadly swamp chase, and Hooker's mom.

My thoughts:
My memory of the other Metro Girl books isn't real clear anymore.  I know I read them but can't recall more than a few details, mostly because those are the things that were reviewed in this book.  It seems like this is a continuation of the series and not just a graphic retelling of the already published books, but I'm not one hundred percent sure.

As far as graphic novels go, I thought this one was done pretty well.  The characters weren't quite how I recall picturing them, but they fit the genre in what I have seen in other books.  It was a quicker read than I was expecting, but it made it perfect for one sitting.  A character I don't recall from the earlier books was Sam's mother.  Her scenes were amusing and added to the comedy of the book.

Because of the size and the hardback cover it almost looked like a children's picture book sitting on my end table.  In my house we have a lot of picture books around.  The only difference was that it was a bit longer than most picture books.

It will be interesting to see where future books go with the story.  I borrowed this one from the library so now I have to decide if I want to wait to find the next one there or buy it.  I hate to buy books that read so quickly because my current goal is to read from my shelves to clear away some of the book clutter in my house.  Next month we'll be going to the beach for a week and I usually let myself buy one new book to take along, and then visit the used bookstore at the beach and leave with more!

Details
•Pub. Date: July 2010

•Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
•Format: Hardcover , 112pp
•Series: Alex Barnaby Series
•ISBN-13: 9781595824882
•ISBN: 159582488X


No comments:

Post a Comment