Saturday, July 9, 2011

Sleepover Sleuths (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew #1) by Caroline Keene Illustrated by Macky Pamintuan

Overview

Eight-year-old Nancy Drew has her first case to crack! Can you help?

Nancy and her two best friends, George and Bess, are so excited! They have been invited to Deirdre's sleepover party! There will be pizza, cake, and even a pajama fashion show. But the most exciting thing is that the party has a City Girls doll theme. All of the guests are bringing their dolls with them!

But then Deirdre's City Girls doll -- Hollywood Heather -- goes missing. Is her sleepover ruined? Or is there a detective in the room who can make sense of this mystery?

My thoughts:
I had no idea this series geared towards younger readers even existed until I saw it in the book order at the end of the school year.  Then when we went to Barnes and Noble to turn in the summer reading passports for a free book this was one of the choices.  We have two of the other books, but it seemed like a good idea to start at the beginning.  Nancy, Bess and George are 8-year-old friends who are good at solving mysteries and decide to become the Clue Crew.  Their first case is to find out what happened to a new doll at a sleepover party.

I grew up loving and looking forward to Nancy Drew books and Trixie Beldon. (I still have a box somewhere of all my old Trixie Beldon books that my mom held onto.  I am wondering if this is the summer to break them out or to wait.)  I love being able to share some of these with my own children and to find new books to read.  We discussed the clues as we were reading and made our own predictions of who could have taken the doll and why and how.  I was a bit worried that my son would balk at reading a book about girls, and initially he did, but he sat in the kitchen where he could still hear us and came back out when he was hooked.  I hate that it seems that girls can read books about either gender but that boys don't feel like they are allowed to read books about girls.

Details
•Pub. Date: May 2006
•Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
•Format: Paperback , 96pp
•Age Range: 6 to 9
•Series: Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew Series #1
•ISBN-13: 9781416912552

1 comment:

  1. I still have my Trixie Belden books too as well as Nancy Drew.
    I'm not sure if I would have read these books b/c I was reading the originals pretty young, but they look cute

    ReplyDelete