Friday, August 3, 2012

Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers (audio)

From Harper Collins: 
Like Mother, Like Daughter...
Annabel Andrews is tired of her mother telling her on what to do. She's tired of being told to do her homework, clean up her room, and be nice to her little brother, Ape Face. If she were an adult, she could do anything she wanted, like watch TV all day and eat marshmallows for breakfast.
One Friday morning, Annabel's wish comes true when she wakes up and realizes she's turned into her mother! But after a major washing machine mishap, losing Ape Face, and a terrible teacher conference, Annabel starts to suspect that being an adult is not as much fun as it seems.
One thing's for certain -- this is one freaky Friday she'll never forget!

My thoughts:
I saw the old movie version of this years ago and the new one with Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan as well, but the book is different than how I remember either of those movies.  It will be interesting to rewatch both of those to see how much it stuck with the story.  Even though the case was labeled for ages 10 and up I thought, based on my memories of the movies, that it would be fine for my children to listen to.  I am not sure that it was the best choice.  It was written in 1975 and some of the descriptions were just odd.  Annabel pretends to be a liberal and to do so she has an African American friend, after firing the German housekeeper she uses a slur for Hispanics, and I recall one other word that I would have preferred to have avoided introducing to my children.  They still enjoyed Annabel's antics being a grown up for the day and her problems with the washing machine, remembering to pick up her bother/son at the bus stop and handling the errands and parent teacher conference.  I don't regret listening to it, but I think I will be a bit more aware of the suggested age recommendations in the future.


IMPRINT HarperCollins FORMAT
ISBN 0064400468 ISBN13 9780064400466
ON SALE 4/7/2009 PAGES 192
AGES 10 & Up

No comments:

Post a Comment