Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Glass Case: A Short Story by Kristin Hannah


The Glass Case: A Short Story


Overview from Goodreads:
In her classic short story THE GLASS CASE, Kristin Hannah explores the heart and mind of a young mother. April Bannerman is a young mother of three, married to her high school sweetheart & living in the same small town in which she grew up. Although she loves her children and husband, April is plagued by the growing doubt that she has not lived up to her mother's expectations for her---until one day when something terrible and unexpected happens, and April must face the truth about her own life and discover what really matters.

BONUS MATERIAL INCLUDED: 1st chapter of Kristin Hannah’s newest novel HOME FRONT, coming January 2012.

My thoughts:
I wasn't sure what to expect from this short story when I started it.  I started it before I read Homefront one day when I had a few extra minutes and didn't have a book with me.  I had it saved on my iPod for a just in case moment.  Today I had the chance to finish the story.  April is a young mother who married young and nothing is quite what she thought it was going to be growing up.  Her mother had such big dreams for her since she felt like she wanted her daughter to have more than she ever did, but then April follows in her footsteps.  April loves her children and her husband, but often feels frazzled by the day to day stress of young children and family and a home.  How to get it all done in the time you have, which I can fully understand.  But one day something happens that has her thinking back and putting her life into perspective.  A lot of the story is about regrets she has and her worry that things could have been. I was not expecting the twist that came at the end, but it showed how a lot of how we look and think about things is just our perspective.  That often times things are more perfect than we are willing to see.  In evaluating if her life is the way she wants it to be, she is surprised by how she really feels about it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment