Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series

Breaking Bad: The Complete Series

Overview from Barnes and Noble:

This hard hitting release from the landmark drama Breaking Bad includes all 62 episodes of the show, following the epic story of a cancer ridden teacher who, in desperation, discovers his uncanny talents in the horrifying world of meth.
 
My thoughts:
Last month my husband and I decided to give this series a try.  We borrowed it season by season from the library and binge watched the shows.  In just a few weeks we watched all but the last eight episdoes, which the library did not have.  Then AMC ran a marathon of all the episodes so we were able to watch the last eight, if we were willing to start after 6pm and not finish until after 3 am.  We did it, but I felt horrible the next day as our children still got up at normal time and I will admit that I need much more sleep than that to feel like myself!
 
Watching Walt evolve from a frustrated chemistry teacher  who is turning fifty and has been diagnosed with cancer to a meth cooker laundering money and hiding his secret life from his family was engrossing and scary at the same time.  How much of himself was Walt hiding even prior to becoming a cooker and dealer?  How could one character go through so many changes in such a short time?  Was it really because he was afraid he would leave his family unable to support themselves after his death?  How had such a promising chemist with such big ideas have ended up as a teacher?  Do teachers in New Mexico really get paid $43,000 per year?
 
I enjoyed seeing the scenery in the desert as it reminds me of the time my family spent in that area, but the drug culture and taking and making of drugs was scary to me.  I'm not sure how I feel about binge watching so much in such a short period of time as well.  I think having seen this story over the course of time it was aired might have made the changes seem less sudden but I am glad we gave this series a chance.  It was very well done!             

No comments:

Post a Comment